Bells

In 1552 three bells were recorded.

1777 Attenborough Terrier records five bells.

Dawson records that the tower now contains eight bells with details as follows:

Bell 1

(Size 24.25″, Weight 3.1.1)

Inscription: JOHN TAYLOR & CO * FOUNDERS * LOUGHBOROUGH * CORONATION YEAR. 1953 E II R

Bell 2

(Size 25.75″, Weight 3.2.17)

Inscription: JOHN TAYLOR & CO * FOUNDERS * LOUGHBOROUGH * CORONATION YEAR. 1953 E II R

Bell 3

(Size 26.75″, Weight 4.0.2)

Inscription: JOHN TAYLOR & CO * FOUNDERS * LOUGHBOROUGH * 1934 + IN MEMORY OF HENRY JOHN PEARSON:1913 AND HIS SONS JOHN STRACHAN PEARSON, 1918 AND STEPHEN HETLEY PEARSON, 1917 +

Bell 4

(Size 27.75″, Weight 4.1.2)

Inscription:

HENRY: DAY: COLLECTOR: 1733 RECAST 1934 + THIS BELL RECAST BY JOHN RIGBY POYSER IN MEMORY OF HIS WIFE FLORENCE MARY +

Bell 6

(Size 31.25″, Weight 5.3.14)

Inscription: DEUS RENUMERABIT BENEFACTORIBUS MEIS RECAST 1934 + GEORGE PRITCHETT CHURCHWARDEN BELL RINGER FOR OVER 50 YEARS

Bell 6

(Size 33.5″, Weight 6.1.22)

Inscription: IESVS BE OVR SPEED 1631

Bell 7

(Size 36.75″, Weight 6.2.22)

Inscription:

IOHN LOWN IOHN EARP CHURCHWARDENS 1749 THOS HEDDERLY FOUNDER

The 7th bell was cast by Hedderly in 1749 and has ornate moulding as shown alongside.

Bell 8 F#

(Size 41″, Weight 11.02.21)

Inscription: IOHN IN PRINCIPIO VERBV

The 4th and 5th bells have been recast from the originals which were thought to have been cast by Daniel Hedderly in 1733.

The bell frame was replaced in 1934 and again in 1953. These replacements plus apparatus to enable a single handed ringing of all the bells was due to the generosity of Mr and Mrs J B Hammond and George Pritchett.

Attenborough Church also has a team of Handbell Ringers