Memorials and Monuments
Early armorial bearings for the Babington , Nevil and Leake families of the 13th and 14th centuries were said to be visibly incorporated into certain church windows as late as 1840 but unfortunately no longer exist.
Later centuries are well represented by various arms and plaques. The most colourful of these is a carved wooden memorial bearing the arms of the Powtrell family, dated 1623 and depicted in red, white and gold on black. It is located on the east wall of the chancel. Also on the east wall is the alabaster memorial plaque to John Mather, Vicar of Attenborough, 1586-1625. Also mentioned are his two wives, Elizabeth and Joane.
The north wall of the chancel holds a brass plaque commemorating the Foljambe family who were for three centuries connected with the church. Also on this wall is a memorial to Francis Jaques, alias Gambard, of Toton and his wife and children. Francis died 27 August 1606. The inscription tells us, that the memorial was erected by George, the oldest son.
High on the wall of the north aisle are the Warren arms, a hatchment measuring 5’x 5′. This is associated with Admiral Sir John Borlase Warren (here spelt Borlace), grandson of Arthur Warren and the heiress of Sir John Borlase. He was created a baronet in 1775.
Also hanging high on the north wall are the royal arms of George III.
The south aisle wall displays the arms of the Charlton family, lords of Chilwell manor.
Apart from the above mentioned, and others included in the glass and fittings pages, the following are also in the church:
Chancel north side
John Holbrook 29 April 18 –
also wife Mary 17 July 1854
and grandson Thomas 17 June 1853
G H (George Holbrook?) March (all that can be read)
Plaque on wall
Frederick Chatfield Smith 20 April 1905
Chancel south side
E H 10 June 1853
Plaque on wall
John Moore 23 Aug 1745
Mellicent Gamble 11 Sept 1771
Plaque on wall
George Holbrook 9 March 1832
Additional (Truman) “quire floor tablet”
Perin Molineux 1443
daughter of Edmund Molineux, King’s Sergeant at Law
Entering nave, north side
John Harvey 2 April 1812
also Rebecca 8 March 1824
and John (son) March 1825
Entering nave south side
Thomas Hawes 11 Nov 1803
North aisle, north wall
Sr. John Borlace Warren Rt. Hon. Admiral G.C.B
Guelph 22 Feb 1822
Elizabeth Clarke 13 Dec 1860
S Aisle E wall
Nicholas John Charlton (Charlie) 13 June 1892
South aisle, south wall
Geoffrey Nicholas Charlton J.P. 1940
also Mary – wife 1948
also Nicholas Poyntz Major – son
Royal Norfolk Rifles 1942
also Ethel Mary – wife 1942
Orton Welles 1820 (erected by Welles Charlton)
Sarah Winifred Day 26 May 1992
Parish Clerk 1953-92
Emma Charlton 30 May 1818
Nicholas Charlton 1690
Son of Thomas Charlton 1650
also Thomas Charlton Son of Nicholas
also Thomas Charlton Esq. 1701
& his unmarried sons
Thomas Charlton 1798
Son of John & Dorothy
Also his son Thomas 1808
Lieut. Col. Notts. Militia
Wllm. Charlton squire of Chilwell 1831
Also Emma – wife 1818
Also Robert Charlton – brother 1829
added inscription “In the church yard lies
Nicholas John Charlton (Charlie) 1892
Either side of vestries door
Charles & Caroline Woodland
Henry John Pearson & Laura Kate Pearson
Near tower door
Percy Barsby January 2000
Millennium clock Dedication.
Above tower door
Records legacy of £300 bequeathed by Alfred Chapman for keeping the churchyard in good order particularly the graves of John & Harriet Chapman, Henry & Horace Chapman, and Alfred & Florence Chapman.
There are also within the church, hand-stitched tapestry kneelers – many of them commemorating the lives of former members of the congregation.